IT all started in the year 1945. Our founder, Mr. Quek Him Kia (pictured) began his interest in setting up a trading company. On his trishaw, Mr. Quek went door to door, trading anything he could find. Subsequently, with the unwavering help and support from his wife, Mdm. Chua Kar Siang, he used his hard earned money to invest in a company – a company he named Tong Huat Trading Co.!
Initially located at 18 Upper Nankin Street, a strategic location at the then Chinatown, Mr. Quek started selling glass bottles to local Chinese medical halls. As business improved, his customer base expanded to include the pharmaceutical as well as the food and sauce industries.
In 1973, Mr. Quek decided to change Tong Huat Trading Co. to Tong Huat Trading Co., (Pte) Ltd. A year later, due to government’s resettlement, the company was relocated to its current premise at Blk 51 Chin Swee Road. It has ever since been consumer’s one-stop place for all their container needs.